Sunday 15 March 2015

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit.......

....less than fifty days to go! This is the countdown today on my Runkeeper account. It just seems like a few days ago when that had at least 120 days on it. But it's amazing how quickly the time goes in, not to mention all the training runs. Just a few weeks ago, it felt inconceivable that I would be able to run sixteen miles, and yet, that's exactly what I did yesterday morning. Sixteen miles all around Bangor.

When I told The Main Man where I'd been, he was a bit weirded out. Crawfordsburn, The Banks, Clandeboye Road, I circumnavigated the town. The mileage was a challenge, but once I was about five miles in, I got a rhythm going, and was able to shamble along. My main enemy yesterday was boredom. I was on my feet for three hours and thirty-eight minutes and it seemed a very long time. And I was acutely aware of the time passing. I wish I could zone out and just "flow" as my training book talks about. So far though, no joy, and much of yesterday's run was not fun due to the monotony. So next week, I think I'll go back to listening to the book.

This week's mid week runs are five, eight and five miles. That means getting up at 5am or 4.30am. This  is the most I will have to run mid week. It will be the case for five weeks. I can't believe I've go to this stage of the training. When I first saw the programme, I worried about these miles. It seemed like I couldn't possibly get up that early. Now, that's not such a big deal, and the miles themselves do not worry me. All that worries me now is the tedium. Even on the day itself, it's not the twenty-six point two that bothers me so much. I've done the training miles, I can do the marathon. I just need to focus a bit and remind myself again that I want to do this. But if I want to back out, I can do it at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment